Thursday, January 21, 2010

This Coming Weekend

IMG_1902

My goal for this weekend is to see A Single Man. Tom Ford, the designer who reinvented Gucci in the 90s, has directed his first film. Reliable critics are saying that it is a top-notch debut. It is playing at the Harvard Exit theater only. I am thinking tomorrow night at 9:30.

Which reminds me: I never wrote about A Serious Man, the Coen brothers' contribution to 2009. It was among my favorites of the year and, I believe, their best work since The Big Lebowski (not including No Country for Old Men in the analysis, because they didn't write it, only directed). Not since Fargo have they so well mixed the dark with the light and, in my view, it is at the convergence of the dark and light that the things art can express appear most brilliant.

No comments: