Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Charmed Life

Maybe this is a weak post, 'cause I'm just linking to someone else's found photo.

...but man, seldom has a picture ever captured the aspirations of the American male (viz. your humble narrator) better than this one. Plus, obviously, the style embodied in this photograph is just overwhelming. I must coin a term to describe this category of photograph - "bro-tivation" perhaps?

Also, this picture calls to mind, for me, Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party, although there are clear distinctions between the content of each. I'm sure one could make interesting comparisons and contrasts among the social contexts of the two pictures and our own. I'll forgo that, in the interest of limiting my pretensions.

(The not-so-fine print: Thanks to Jess, for sharing this. Linked from Vintage Photographs, http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/lotus_feet/lotus-feet2/JacquelineandJohnFKennedy1962.jpg. New post at the request of Adam.)

3 comments:

Bob/Linda/Stokes said...

Camelot, the dream.

AT said...

nice post. You are back out from the gutter. One minor point...white socks?

tCL said...

Because he's wearing a white shirt and is on a boat on a warm day and is wearing brown loafers, I give the white socks a pass - however, I give JFK extra style points for the navy and orange stripes on the socks. Roguish and sporting.