Monday, February 15, 2010

Whole Roasted Fish Basquaise


Since today is a holiday, I thought I would spend a little time trying a new dish for dinner: whole roasted fish basquaise. The recipe is from my recently acquired cookbook - a selection of recipes from Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles restaurant in Manhattan. Of course, the most important part is to get good fresh ingredients, including red snapper...

...and fresh vegetables and herbs, all from the Market.
Recipes; I dislike the experience of cooking from a recipe. The fun starts when I have learned it and can start to improvise on it. It's like learning to play a new song - not so fun until it feels natural.
The smelly gentleman, the garlic and the thyme.
Short version: brown the veggies, garlic and thyme in olive oil, add vin blanc, add broth, add potatoes (parboiled), add fish, bake for 30, separate and broil fish for 5 (I would suggest broiling potatoes, too) and serve. You should leave the head on because that is where a lot of the flavor resides - don't forget to dig out and eat the cheeks.

3 comments:

AT said...

looks good but since when do you cook?

tCL said...

Come on, Ajax, my South-Asia-dwelling friend. You must have forgotten all those Sunday dinners I cooked for our Entourage parties at Alki. You were certainly invited. Of course, between the cooking of you and Dahlia and Jaime, I rarely had occasion to cook.

Cathryn said...

Haven't had a fish with its head on since Greece in 1995 -- this one looks fabulous! And to Ajax, I'd just say the best crab cakes I ever ate in my life were cooked by Ryan 6 or so years ago.