Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Film Noir Month

I have decided to make this film noir month, not following any particular calendar dates to determine the beginning or end. I am going to focus my viewing efforts on classic film noir for 30 days, give or take.

Last night, I kicked things off with Touch of Evil, by Orson Wells (and starring him as a repugnant and crooked cop). The opening shot struck me - as it has apparently stricken others. I did some research after watching and learned that the opening of this movie defined the tracking shot. It still stands out 50 some years later. For other great examples, see any P.T. Anderson film.

Aside from the fact that some of the dialogue was obviously looped, the film was great through and through. All the elements were there: a mysterious murder, illicit sex, drugs, assassins popping out of alleys. If there was any element lacking, it was a strong femme fatale - some interesting women, but no one truly playing the role of the siren luring the hero into danger. Conclusion: a great introduction into the world of film noir.

No comments: